Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Great Decider

Dear Congressman Franks,

It was interesting to see “The Great Decider” do an end around on the Senate and loan money to the auto industry. I hope it doesn’t prove a poor decision, at least not on the scale of the Iraq invasion at any rate. Chevrolet and Chrysler said they’d be back later in the initial interviews on Capitol Hill, and I don’t think they were kidding. It as if one put a saucer of milk out for a stray cat, once the cat eats the milk he will continually hang about until he gets more.

Perhaps more alarming is the fact the Executive office has as assumed powers I don’t believe it should have in the form of the ability to wage war, designate funds, and signing statements. It has turned the oval office into the lair of a dictator. These powers need to be stripped away and given back to the congress and there by default to the people (remember us?).

I would also like to know if the bailout for the auto companies the president unilaterally bestowed upon them includes a bail out for the mass transportation industry, which played fast and loose with the rules to develop an illegal financing scheme with banks and was left holding the bag when it all fell apart. It is nice to know that if one fails in business or winds up on the short end of a financial scam that the government or at least the president will be there for him or her. I was glad to see there are no repercussions for the CEOs and management of the banks and the auto industry, which would have indeed been heinous. No reason on earth to hold them responsible for their failure.

By the way, congratulations on the raise I hear you all just got. I didn’t get a raise or bonus this year, but I am not complaining as I am happy to still have my job and my house. Best to remember this when folks start talking about Washington being out of touch with their constituents. I’d also like to know when we can expect the trickle down from the billions we are pumping into the financial and auto industry. I could use a few bucks for Christmas.

11 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The stray cats always come back... you hit exactly upon the problem with the bailouts not to mention how unfair it is to companies that do well.

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

math for
the masses:

1 politician
+
1 bullet
----------------
happiness


/t.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

I think there should be presidental/congressional 2-term limits as follows:

-- one term in office
-- one term in prison

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

I think we need to clean house every few years to make sure we don't develop a bunch of nobles in a political class. Some new non-nutter, non-wealthy faces around the capitol would be an excellent idea...

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I agree with Indigo. That should go for all politicians.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Toby said...

No loop holes! I'm no law maker, but it seems easy to enact a law that says "NO LOOPHOLES." All of us average "Joe the Plumbers" need to expect accountability from our elected officials. If some over priced attorney finds some way to circumvent anything, that way is blanketed by the "no loophole" law.

No loophole law trumps everything. That will cut congress and the white house to less than part-time. More time for their families, more time to be human. More time to realize there are actually 150,000,000 people and their families who mostly suffer from the constant greed filled bickering.

I'm reminded of Steve Martin's Holiday Wish.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger darkfoam said...

i'm liking /t.'s idea, but i'd settle for indigo's idea as well..

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

happy xmas Phos.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Merry Christmas Auto industry CEO's!

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger dianne said...

Dear Phos I would like to wish you and your loved ones a very Happy and Merry Christmas, may your hearts be filled with the joy of the season. ♥
Thank you also for the lovely comments you have left at my blog and inviting me into your world. ♥♥

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger h said...

Barney Franks? I hope you're not suffering under the delusion that Bail-Out Barney "gets it".

That pervert should be in prison for his role in the Freddie Mac crimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home