Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wide Awake


Sure, almost midnight here and I feel awake - figures. I lie in bed as I often do and my thoughts kind of swirl around me, jumping from one thing to the next. Tonight I began thinking about the glue that binds everything together, Emerson's Oversoul, god if you wish, that spark of divinity within each of us that comes forth to speak with us when we quiet our minds and escape the busy highway of life. I think that is why I admire Buddha - I do not worship him, for I do not believe he would have intended that, but I admire him and Emerson alike for realizing that god lies within. All we have to do is find a moment of solitude and listen to the very quiet voice normally drowned out by the day's turmoil to find our way through life, to make the proper decisions, to feel empathy for all we are connected to, every particle in the universe, ever other being. Buddha saw this, he got it and I believe we can too. He had the one precious gift, the ability to listen to the inner voice and understand what life is about, what he was about, what his true calling was - not to be a god but to spread the secret to finding the key to life, the presence of an oversoul, and help his fellows realize the divinity within and the bond with the universe as a whole. I thought about that a lot as I sat in the quiet of Wisconsin away from cares and worry, listen to the noise of traffic die away and the rustle of the leaves and the thoughts of being home, home again calmed me to the point where I could hear myself for the first time in a long time. I have never felt such serenity as I did just sitting there where I was raised.

Back again in Phoenix, the noise the bustle too many people crammed into too small a space - the continuous din drowns out the voice entirely. No wonder large cities have such crime, everyone is so busy trying to get somewhere in a hurry they don't stop to allow their inner voice to guide them on the right path. There is no way to escape the constant pounding of the city, no time of day or night, there is no where to escape to, even the desert is filled with ATVs, loud tourists, and the noise of motor bikes. Here all I feel is anxiety and miss the moments of serenity found in my old back yard. I'd give anything to capture that feeling again.

10 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger dianne said...

What a beautiful post Phos my dear, I always enjoy your writing.
Yes sometimes its very hard to find the peace and quietness we need to listen to our inner voice, we neglect them because life happens and we forget the spiritual nourishment we need.
Its funny I am having a very stressful time with my Dad and my son at the moment, they are both ill. I took my Dad to the doctor last week as he is not well and I am trying to do everything for him, he expects it. His doctor is actually concerned about my well being and my stress levels, she kindly gave me some information on 'mindful thinking', surprisingly it is about the teachings of Buddha. Its about slowing down, living in the moment,taking time to listen to your inner self, seek the quietness you need to rest your mind - I have found it most helpful as I need to relax more and take care of myself. What a nice thing to give me, its a few pages but it is so much more than that.
Take care my friend and always be true to yourself as much as you can be; you will find some quiet as I have by just looking at the beauty of the sunrise and knowing that we are all connected in this Universe.♥ :) xoxox

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Jack K. said...

Those quiet, wakeful hours allow us to connect with the universe. They are times to be treasured as you, too, have discovered. It appears we share some of the same views of our universal connectedness.

This is a list of books that have influenced me greatly. I update it as a read new ones. I just added "Dreams from my father" to the list.

Thanks for asking about what I have been doing. We have been traveling and I have also been reading. The only writing I have been doing lately is comments on blogs. Perhaps Erato will visit me soon.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Phos, you never cease to amaze me. These words I've just read are so profound, yet familiar to me, as I repeat them to myself every chance I get. To reach deep within yourself, and to get in touch with that inner spirit, the voice of wisdom.

I admire Your wisdom Phos, does that make you my Buddha? :)

I wanted to thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for the kinds words you took the time to write out for me, and the lovely card you sent me. You too, sir, are a kindred soul. Reading your words made me cry, just a little, but rest assured, they were tears of joy, and absolute gratefulness, that I, a simple French Girl in Niagara, have touched others enough that they would take the time out of their lives to contact me, and let me know how much I mean to them.
Thank you kind sir, you are a King among men.

Julie

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

dianne: thanks for the kind words. Buddha knew the way. I've always thought everything we need is within us,as you said we just need to take the time to find it. Sorry to hear about your dad and son, hope they get better soon.

Jack: Thanks for the list, I will check it out. I am way behind in my reading, I need to take more time for that as well. Glad you get to travel. New places are always interesting. I was lucky as kid my parents took my brother and me to all sorts of interesting places. They knew I liked the Civil War, so we got to see a lot of forts and Civil War battle grounds, National parks, and just hanging at Mauthe Lake (in the picture) was great. Go to see a lot while in the Air Force as well, some places not so good, some pretty cool.

Jewels: Heard you were down a bit and glad you enjoyed the card. Hope things are more upbeat for you as you deserve the best. Breaks my heart when I hear folks such as Jin and you are struggling with things. Sometimes I think you two could be long lost sisters. Both very personable and talented. I think it would be a hoot to see you two together, you are so much alike. We'll all have to get together at Jin's place for coffee - I'll bring the donuts. Please take time to care for yourself, maybe dance your troubles away... Whatever happens keep in touch, I enjoy hearing from you and like visiting your blogs.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

phos,

looks like
you're being promoted
to the station of high guru

good post, buddy -- hope you get back for good one day

/t.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I need to learn to listen to my inner voice.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

/t.: Thanks. Think I need more peaceful surroundings...

ll: It'll never steer you wrong, might want to quit hanging out with buzzards though.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger darkfoam said...

i absolutely agree with you ...
it's one of the reasons i don't go to church. everybody is so busy being busy..
nobody listens to the divine..

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

foam: I got tired of going to church because it always seemed as though they were after money. They even told me how much I should be paying them a year,and that was the end of that.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger ..................... said...

oh, absolutely ..
they are ALWAYS after money ..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home