Monday, February 05, 2007

And the Groundhog Says:

Spring in Wisconsin is a wonderful time. I can remember running out to the playground at recess and the teachers scolding us for not wearing our jackets – it was only 45, but after a long cold winter it felt warm to us.

Spring is a season that titillates all the senses. There is the warm sun on your back, the smell, feel of the warming earth – you can actually taste Spring! Look close and you can see Crocus, Daffodils, and Tulips just starting to push through the sun warmed rich black soil along the side of the house, oblivious to the rim of ice still clinging to the cement.

As we grew older Spring became about the opening day of the fishing season The ice was off the lake, and it was time to get out and soak in the experience. Not the Johnny Bassboat kind of fishing where some hillbilly is trying to live out his dream of being the champion of the Bassmaster tournament by dashing from spot to spot guided by his trusty fish finder. No, this fishing was leisurely, filling the senses with sun, birdsong, the languid waters parting under the keel of the boat. Sure, once in awhile a pan-fishing derby would break out where my brother and I would try to out do each other catching small fry - The surprise of seeing a tiny fish dangling in front of my eyes as my brother notifies me this one gives him the lead. Life couldn’t get much better then a boat, my brother, and a six-pack. If the fish were biting that was ok, but the main reason for being out there was just being out there. No worries out on the lake, with the exception of hitting a snag and losing your favorite lure, or finding out that was your last casting bobber now hanging out of reach in the branch of a tree.

I still look forward to spring such as it is here in the Valley of the Sun. Tough to have much of a spring since we don’t have much of a winter. All said and done there is really no one to fish with; but no matter the fishing is sparse anyway. Sometimes I sit in the back yard, a Four Peaks Kiltlifters Ale in hand and just close my eyes and imagine I am back out on the lake and just let the world drift by.

Labels:

17 Comments:

At 1:36 AM, Blogger Kirsten N. Namskau said...

Spring is beautiful. My favourite too together with Autumn.
Spring, when everything comes to life and Autumn with all the beautiful colors in the nature.

Spring gives a special good-tasted fish on the grill though. I don't if it is only me or if it is correct that the meat of the fish appear firmer and more tasty at springtime...

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger jin said...

Ok...I took algebra once, I think...lemme give your equation a shot:


spring + wisconsin =
? when ?


...wait...give me a second to work it out...


wisconsin - 30 below zero =
? spring ?


ARGH! I need another try.....


a wi spring + hope = DISAPPOINTMENT


YAY!!! I got it!!!
What do I win???

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I like Spring weather.

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jin :)

your math works
here in canada, too

/t.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Dino said...

spring is great especially if you had an actuall winter that is followed by spring

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

.Kirsten:Best time for fish – the dead of winter. I used to ice fish for trout – the flesh is firm and a beautiful orange color from eating crayfish. You toss the fish up on the ice after you catch them. I have had them come back to life after putting them in the sink to clean them. Doesn’t get any fresher then that!!

Jin: Ok, I am getting a little ahead of the game. The Wx here has been beautiful so I guess that got me started. No worries it is supposed to cool back down again by Thursday. We could use a little more rain to boot.

LL: As do I LL!! Truth be told I like Fall better, though.

/t.:Well there’s no permafrost in Arizona…yet

DAK: Well said. My bother has already told that I am a whuss.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

Spring is my fav season next to Summer but :)

Keshi.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Pat said...

Ahh! Midwest Spring! I remember oh so fondly. The unique fragrance. The Promise and Hope thick in the air. But what I remember, and miss, the most is the very first thunderstorm of the year. As a child, I used to wait for that thunderstorm each year with baited breath...hardly able to contain my excitement! With my birthday (most years) being the first day of Spring, I'd consider it a double-Holy-and-Oh-So-Special Blessed Event if that wonderous thunderstorm happened on my birthday. I'd sit up all night, watching and listening, mesmerized and completely enchanted, when it arrived. You see, it was my personal messenger and carrier: it brought to me, and me alone, a promise that all was well and it (each and every year and without fail) bestowed on me a peace and calm unlike any other I've ever experienced.

More than a little odd, yes, but it is true nonetheless!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I like both fall and spring.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Keshi: Summer = bikinis. Why yes summer is quit nice.

EC: When I was young we had some real rip roaring storms cruising through, but they don’t seem to be as intense anymore. I do like the way they clear the air and the smell of the wet grass and trees. Not much of that out here I am afraid.

LL: You have good taste in seasons. I think it is the impending change that makes Fall and Spring so attractive to me.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I think its that way with me too, but in Florida its hard to tell when its fall. Winter has been cold some days, but mostly like spring this year.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

You have spring in Arizona?

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

LL: I thought there were only two seasons in Florida - Hurricane and tourist.

I used to spend spring break with my brother and folks near Ft Walton Beach when I was young. I really like the area, very pretty beaches and the gulf is nice.

l>t Hey, it dropped below freezing for one or two nights.

I am a sun person, so I need lots of sunlight or I become very cross, so AZ is ideal for me.

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger How do we know said...

you almost get poetic here!! Very Nice post PG.. just my kind!! :-)

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger SeePearrl said...

lolz :P

beautiful spring and spring is always beautiful doesnt matter wat age!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Jay Noel said...

I'm hoping for Spring very soon here in the MidWest. Yesterday, it actually hit 50 here in St. Louis. But now it's back to 15 degrees.

What a damn tease.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

HDWK Thanks for stopping by!! I have to drop by your place again and see whats up...

WF: Time for renewal...

Phoenix: It has been my experience February and March are the crappiest months in the midwest so you have a ways to go - alwasy hopeful. Maybe Global Warming will shorten the winters a bit. There's alwasy a silver lining!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home