Thursday, August 17, 2006

The End of the World as we know it, but I Feel Passable, pt 2

Ma Nature Delivers a Bitch-slap

Next we have natural disasters. Yes the globe is heating up, yes it is our fault and no, no one is making a substantive effort to stop the process. There are some examples of attempts to mitigate the problem. Please, if you are interested in this, read “The Weather Makers” by Tim Flannery, or “Field Notes from a Catastrophe” by Elizabeth Kolbert. They are only slightly longer then this post. Ignorance is not bliss. Folks my age may see the beginnings of the trouble brewing from wantonly tossing CO2 into the atmosphere, but it is our kids that are screwed. If the present estimates are close, the earth will be a lifeless molten ball of rock by 2070.

The Discovery Channel loves this stuff, probably because people can’t get enough of disaster shows – I am one of them, I can (and do) quote “Twister” word for word, much to my daughter’s delight. According to programming on the Discovery Channel we will be wiped out by mega-asteroids, mega-glaciers, mega-tsunamis, or mega-volcanoes – and we are “long overdue" for each one of these cataclysmic events. I wonder what would happen to the stock market if the Yellowstone super-volcano erupted at the same moment one of our larger celestial visitors came calling? Crap.

It may or may not be the end. I felt I ought to go out an but the 52” plasma TV so at least I could watch the end in living color. Hey if it is the end of the world, Visa is shit out of luck trying to get their money back for that TV. Unfortunately Ms. Phos (AKA Mommy No-fun) put the kibosh on that plan. Marriage is kind of world-ender in its own right, I guess. Anyway, no worries, go on about your business, and don’t worry about your children and their children cursing you for screwing it up.

11 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

I'd almost welcome the end of the world just so I wouldn't have to deal with my credit card.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

pk

Oh well. Nothing lasts forever. Truth is ,you never know when the end is coming or for that matter even that it happened. If you want that big TV I say go for it ,but, keep the receipt.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Is it sync'd yet? said...

I say let go get a Double Cheese Burger in my Hummer while smoking cigs and throwing our styrofoam cups in the nears river. Nothing like speeding up the process a bit to see it happen.

Ok, maybe not...I was inspired for a split second my Dennis Leary.

Scott.
.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger jin said...

I'm not ever having kids.
Do I still have to pay attention?
*kidding*
:-)
My Scion sports an "Ignorance is Not Bliss" bumpersticker.

Have a good rest of the weekend!

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger wallycrawler said...

Jin you should tell your "Scion" that it's killing jobs and our future . "Happy Motoring" !

Kid as for the end of the world , wont happen ! Man may lay in waste , but the Earth will keep on turn'n , with nary a scar on "her" . We will be shaken like fleas off "her" back . The planet has gone through many an ice age and many a heat wave . Thinking we're causing this is merly ego on our parts . I do like that you care though . If ya want to do good in the world quit chasing rainbows and start helping the poor and downtroden . A start would be giving to AIDS research , or something . Cause it's "virus" that will wipe us out not "Global Warming" or "Terrorists" thats just media hype .

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger jin said...

crawler you shouldn't hide in the dark ignorant abyss like you do. Yes, I remember you...you've left me a comment before about my fuel efficient vehicle choice. Too bad you were too chicken to come back and read my fact filled response.

Sorry, phos...had to say it. He probably won't come back to read your response either. I'm sure he's scared you'll have something intelligent to say.

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

pk

My oldest son already blames "my" generation for "ruining" sex by participating in activities that led to the spread of AIDS. Kids...

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Flora Pang said...

how are you doing yourself, my friend? :)

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

All: I was out for a bit, trying to help MS. Phos get set up for school (no worries, I have no hand in the teaching part - probably for the best).

There are quite a few sides to the whole warming thing, not so many to the terrorist crap. Whether you agree or not it should be apparent there is a fragile balance to life on earth. Fooling with that balance may or may not cause a catastrophe, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

It was nice to hear from all of you, thanks for dropping by – I will try to get out and do some ‘visiting’ here in a bit. Have a great rest of the weekend!!!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

I'm looking forward to being wiped out by the mega-asteroid-glacier-tsunami
-volcano, personally.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

I am planning a trip to Yellowstone so I can die at ground zero, rather then starve and die slowly like the rest of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home