Sunday, July 09, 2006

Sitting on the Can

Don't forget to grease the can with some cooking spray or you'll never get it out


Quiet weekend at Chez Phos. Watched the shuttle and space station pass over, did a beer can chicken, and puttered around the house.

I’ve grilled beer can chickens before, but I soaked this one in brine first. It came out very moist and had lots of flavor. I used the brine recipe from one of the specials on Food TV. There are a lot of great recipes on their website. Here is the brine:


Brine:
2 cups water
1 (12-ounce) bottle light bodied beer
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons coarse sea salt
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 (2 1/2-gallon) plastic re-sealable bag
2 whole chickens

For the brine: Combine water, beer, brown sugar, salt, and lemon
juice in large mixing bowl. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve. Pour
mixture into plastic bag. Add chicken and seal bag, remove as much
air as possible. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
For the beer: Pour out 1/4 of beer. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon pepper
to each beer.

I did wind up modifying the brine a bit – I only had one chicken, but found the amount of brine wasn’t sufficient to cover the whole bird. This would result in a very salty chicken. I added one more bottle of beer, used a Rubbermaid covered bowl instead of a bag and used a small plate to hold the chicken under the brining solution. It came out great.

Forced to use a soda can, but used beer, lemon juice and added ground pepper, & basil leaves

I took a picture of the moon while shuttle watching the night before and even with my little Powershot it came out pretty nice. I was trying to capture the halo effect from the high cirrus we had that night. Tonight was severe clear again, still no rain.


Hope you all had a great weekend!!

15 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger jin said...

Wow!!!
Tofu Chicken!!!
YUM!!! :-P

Great pic of the moon....
AAAARRRRROOOOoooooooo.......

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

YUMMMMMMMMMAY! That pic made me drool...

Keshi.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Flora Pang said...

Looks absolutely yummy. If my diet plan fails, it might be your fault...

hehe, just kidding. Thanks for the comments. and don't worry about me and my break-up. I'm fine. :)

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Chickie said...

Shouldn't you also grease the can for the chicken's comfort?

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Cherry! said...

hmmmm! I may have to try thhat recipe!! Looks great!!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Flora Pang said...

by the way, is your profile photo taken from Counter Strike?

I used to play that game with a bunch of guys.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Pat said...

I'm gonna have to try beer can chicken sometime soon. I've come across the recipes and talk of it too often to not try it out! Yours looks positively scrumptious, Phos!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Flora Pang said...

Hi, my friend, I'm so glad for your being here, I'm been feeling a little bit out of myself these past few days. Even though I might be just an anonymous blogger among all bloggers friends you have, but I cannot not to let you know how your comments and support were important to me. And I want to sincerely thank you. Wish we can keep replying back and forth and be friends online.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Sugarfoot said...

I walked in on my uncle one time who was sitting on the 'can'. If you put a balding and fat head on that chicken, that would be him. :)

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Jin: I'll have to make something with bean curd just to shock you. I didn't say I'd eat it though.

Keshi: That is the only reason my wife keeps me around - I can cook.

FP: That is actually me in the picture, the outfit was formalware for Desert Storm.

Glad you come around, you are always welcome. I will continue to stop by your blog and try to resist the fatherly advice. You'll do all right. Remember the old saying, a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.

Chickie: Good point, though it will be a lot more uncomfortable for the boid when you try to rip it out after the can has baked on to tender tissues.

Cherry!: It is the easiest way to BBQ a chicken (otherbirds work too - I have grilled a turkey that way, sans brine) I know of - an almost bulletproof method.

Besides its a law you have to have beer while BBQing - its not just a state law either, but one of those federal things.

EC: Thanks. After you use the beer can method you'll never look back.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

Jesus! A chuck with a can in its ass!

YOU FREAK!!!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

DM: No worries, it was a tough bird and told me it likes the rough stuff. Being Siwss I'll bet you have a lot of wild goat herding stories - I've seen the movie Heidi, so don't think I don't know what goes on in those high alpine meadows!! Just kidding, have a great day!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Timmy said...

I always forget to grease the can...

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Timmy: Ouch!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Sugarfoot said...

Everything's better with butter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home