Friday, May 05, 2006

Itchy Frittatas



Late night/early morning blogging. Nothing like it, quiet in the house, huskies and wife are sleeping, fish is fishing or whatever a creature with a fish brain does when it isn't swimming around its tank. I have had a reaction to something or another and the itching is keeping me awake, so if I have to suffer so should you.

I haven’t posted anything about food in a while so here goes (none of the food pictured below caused the reaction).

First the giant pizza:


'Strella Dog waiting to collect the "Husky Tax" on the pizza

This 24” monster was pretty tasty but between my son-in-law, daughter, wife, two huskies and me we couldn’t even put a dent in it. Not for lack of trying. Maybe it was all the biscotti… That was great too.

My wife had a little soirée last Friday for her fellow teachers. She is the official cruise director for the school and tries to keep the other teachers motivated and entertained – a full time job with that bunch. She told me not to worry about cooking anything, until Thursday when she decided she did want something and I was on my way to the market to get eggs, herbs, et al. I made a couple of frittatas. I didn’t mind as I don’t get to cook for groups as much as I’d like. They are easy to make; a bit reminiscent of a British “Fry up” and the word is fun to say. Anything with“tatas” in it has to be good



Start with a non-stick fry pan. The non-stick, despite the alleged evils of Teflon (I think the study "proving" Teflon will kill you, eventually, was conducted by the cheap aluminum pot manufactures of America) will make plating the frit’ a lot easier later. I like to hedge my bet by using some spray olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Maybe it helps seal in the dreaded Teflon vapors too, though I can’t say for sure. Place a layer of frozen hash brown potatoes in the bottom of he pan, sprinkle on salt and pepper and turnout the burner on medium. At this point pre-heat the oven to about 350.

Whip six eggs and about a quarter cup of milk in a blender and pour about half the liquid over the eggs. Leave it on the burner for a few minutes to make sure the potatoes are starting to cook and the toss the whole works in the oven until the eggs set. Pull the pan out, rest it on the stove and add any herbs meat spices, veggies, or the entire contents of a lava-lamp, whatever tips your canoe.

In this case I made an Italian version and an American interpretation. The Italian frit’ got a julienne of prosciutto, chopped basil, shredded provolone and mozzarella, and sautéed Portobello mushrooms. The American got chopped ham, cheddar cheese, green peppers, onion, and sautéed button mushrooms.

Once you have the first layer topped to your satisfaction, pour in the rest of the eggs and place the pan back in the oven until that layer sets. Remove the frit’ and add a layer of cheese. For the Italian it was grated Romano and Parmesan. A quick tip on the cheese: genuine Parmesan Reggiano and Romano are expensive, however, a little goes a long way and the cheeses keep well in the refrigerator. Once you have tasted the real thing you’ll never go back to the dried grated crap in a can. The American frit’ gets another sprinkle of shredder cheddar.

Set the oven to broil and put them back in the oven. Keep a close eye on the pan and when the cheese melts and the egg browns a bit pull them out. After cooling de-pan into a container or plate and garnish. I put some whole basil leaves atop the Italian, for instance. I have had a lot of luck with this dish and this time was no exception. I was told the teachers were on the frittatas like vultures on a fresh carcass. Oh, and remember be careful with the eggs - keep your hands, implements, and any surfaces the eggs might touch sparkling clean so you don’t poison anyone.


Yukon doing his "starving Husky from Siberia" routine for some pizza

7 Comments:

At 3:47 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

sounds like the kids will have some happy and motivated teachers next week!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Aren't there studies that cooking with aluminum is bad for you, too?

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger nanuk said...

The perspective in the closing picture of Yukon makes it look like his head is grafted onto a chihuahua's body. LOL.

Thanks for the tip of splitting your eggs in the fritata. Mine always get burned on the bottom before the top is congealed.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

DM: Not sure about the happy and motivated, but they'll be teachers. Most of the frau's cohorts have the personality of a loaf of soggy white bread. Thanks for stopping by!

NANUK: I was thinking he looked like one of those "Big nose" dogs they put on greeting cards, it is an odd perspective but somehow suits him well!

SL: Aluminum is bad for you but not as bad as cooking directly on the stove. That's what Smokey the Bear told me, anyway.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger jin said...

Awww...I don't know what's more beautiful...your pups or the fritatas!!!

I'm impressed! (& hungry...)

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

ooh lal la! impressed and hungry..

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

jin: I rteally love to cook, but for some reason anything I try to bake (aside from the pizza crust I make) winds up being a disaster. I follow the recipe very carefully (when I cook I tend to "wing it", so it is tough coming up with the recipe for things), but that doesn't seem to matter. I did bake my wife a passable chocolate midnight cake for he rbirthday though.

FoodCrazee: I am so jealous of the food on your website - you will have to tell me how you do it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home