Thursday, June 10, 2010

For Love of Food



My interest in food began long ago while as a child I made hard-boiled eggs for breakfast. Then it was on to Julia Child and the "Galloping Gourmet" AKA Graham Kerr. The interest the passion was there, but it took some time to finally make its debut. While in Korea I came across "The Philippine Cookbook" by Reynaldo G. Alejandro shortly after a three week stint in the Philippines. The food in the Philippines had caught my attention and I wanted to be able to recreate the delights upon my return home.

Back on US soil I announced I was cooking from now on and have never looked back. I am no chef and by most standards only a fair cook, but I love the thrill of the chase. I find peace immersing myself in the techniques, joy in discovering something new and relief when the dish actually turns out. While not catering to a five star crowd, it is gratifying that those I have cooked for have always been appreciative.

I started with Oriental style dishes, started haunting the local Chinese market, and own five different types of woks. Since the early days I have traveled more, seen more of the world and discovered the owner of barbecue right in my own back yard. I keep the backyard grill pretty busy.

My style is as haphazard as my life using a recipe the first time, use the palm of my hand to measure spices, and from then on tend to just wing it -- so far the Kitchen God has been watching out for me. I haven’t poisoned anyone nor set the house a blaze so I have that going for me, which is nice.

I always admired those who have a passion for what they do and had hoped that someday I would too, but failed to realize the passion was already there – wondering hope different foods came into use, who figured out which things were good to eat and which weren’t the differences and similarities between dishes of various countries, and trying to replicate the food in my own kitchen, sometimes more successfully than others. The kitchen has become my retreat, shared only with a couple of huskies and a hot stove. Tough to think of any where I’d rather be…

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I nwant to be a good cook, too.

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Fuff said...

Best pate recipe ever from the Galloping Gourmet!

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger How do we know said...

Congratulations on finding what you love! :-)

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Jack K. said...

Isn't it wonderful to discover a passion and then follow it? I'm sure that you have had many culinary successes.

Bon appetit!

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger dianne said...

I think it is great that you have a passion for cooking Phossy dear; it is a creative art and so enjoyable when you combine the different ingredients to make a great dish, so much more so when it turns out just right and is appreciated by all.
I love using exotic spices, herbs and the many vegetables which add flavour , making an ordinary dish so much more delicious.
If you ever get the chance you must watch 'Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey', I am sure you would be inspired by the places he visits and the various dishes he finds and cooks. xoxoxo ♡

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can cook
just slightly
less well than i
can sing... (the only
musical instrument i can play is a radio)

would love to be able to do both of those things... never will

/t.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger boneman said...

Well, you fare better than I.
Several folks have asked if I was attempting to kill them with my food...
I've started more fires in the kitchen than I can remember (including some spectacular grease flames, and on several occasions, burning WATER while boiling eggs)

None-the-less, I too enjoy the dickens out'a it. I use several, what I call, "Lazy Man's Recipes" and have refined shortcuts to near everything.

As it turns out, I've just finished a leftover porkchop breakfast. Care for a bite?
oh...wait a minute.
I gave one of the cats a bite earlier, and now he appears to be listing a bit to the left.
Better hold on from tasting...

say, wanna come over and help me dig a hole?
(for the cat?)

d=))

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger nanuk said...

Half the excitement with the original Galloping Gourmet was wondering when and if Graham Kerr would pass out from all that wine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home