Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Nice to get out of the house

I went to my Veteran's of Foreign Wars (VFW) meeting today. I believe I am the youngest Vet in the Post, but that is ok. The others have a lot of stories to tell, a lot of inspiration such as how they made it through WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. I am interested in war and warfare, even before I joined the Air Force, and hearing accounts right from the horse's mouth is really a thrill.

Most impressive is that the WWII Vets knew they had a job to do, put their heads down and pressed until it was done. The dedication and courage they displayed wiping out fascism and freeing the Pacific from Imperial Japan define that generation.

More importantly, the VFW's mission is to remember those who haven't returned and aid those Vets who need a hand as well as widows and children of veterans.

6 Comments:

At 3:27 AM, Blogger darkfoam said...

i grew up hearing wwII stories, although not from my father who was a veteran of that war. he died when i was seven.

being an army brat i've always appreciated our soldiers ..

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

My uncle is retired Air Force. i'm PRO-military.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Our kids were Military brats too. I think they turned out more well rounded because of it.

A martial lamb with a military pedigree - /t. better watch out!!

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Hugs Phos...
My dad was in the Navy, My Grandfather was in WWII, my Uncles in Viet Nam.

God less the widows and their children ♥

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto the mayden's
blessing & thanks to all who serve

/t.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger dianne said...

Nice post Phossy.
God bless those who have served in all wars and your American troops who helped us when we were in danger of being invaded by Japan.
The same too for all of those brave men and women who are still serving, far away from their families and loved ones. xoxo ♡

 

Post a Comment

<< Home