Monday, March 24, 2008

Popeye's Revenge



It was my own fault to be sure. My first mistake was eating chicken prepared by a sailor. Now if I wanted to know how to tie a knot, navigate around the Horn, or do scrimshaw give me a sailor every time, for chicken one is best off hunting down an old Kentucky Colonel. He may not have actually cooked a chicken in his life, but unlike our hapless sailor would know that the government requires the chicken reach a safe internal temperature of 165 °F, and is then held at or above 135 °F until time for service. To be fair to the sailor after months at sea eating nothing but weevil-ridden hardtack, a piece of rotten chicken may seem like a treat, but my system was ill prepared for that nautical nonsense.



My second mistake was eating the piece of questionable meat. It felt cool to the touch, surely a bad sign. I’ve always had reservations about the place, picked over piles of chicken just lying there waiting for me, no way of telling what the temperature of the food is or even if Timmy, my chicken sales associate, is scrupulous about washing his hands after picking the scab from that new nose piercing. I guess after Korea and the Philippines I felt invincible when it came to food borne pathogens, but alas I was mistaken and spent the weekend feeling as though I’d been body slammed by a 75 pound Spotted Eagle Ray.


The moral of the story is beware what you eat whenever venturing out into the world of restaurants. I’ve worked at enough of them that I should know better – from watching as one proprietor removed fish from the garbage to re-cook and serve when he ran out of the fresh stuff, to the 10-second rule in operation, there be danger in those waters. You are your own last line of defense - if something seems off, send it back and walk away. Your gastrointestinal system will thank you later.

17 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think sometimes you are what you eat doesn't apply.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

Oh, poor poor Phos! I hope your tummy is better soon. I've always wondered about that place. I've only eaten there once.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Jack K. said...

Damn, I hate when things like this happen. They take all the fun out of your life.

I'm sorry that I dumped a recent email about not buying anything from China, etc. It was a purported expose` on how chickens are "harvested" in China. It was not a pretty sight.

Hope you are feeling much better now.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Pink said...

Oh dear. I had salmonella in first year of University. I was sick with it for 6 weeks because my body was so run down and I couldn't seem to get well. I hope you fight off this blechiness quickly.

xx
pinks

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

food
poisoning
is the worst

well, next to radiation poisoning or maybe something like ebola... but it's especially horrible given that the restautant people aren't even your enemy, or your government

(lame attempt at levity] -- ok, hope you're better soon, bud

/t.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

Oh my dear!!!!
Poor Phos Eye, this sounds terrible, how are You now???? <3

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

Ick. I'm so paranoid about food poisoning that I won't eat chicken on a stick.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger sparringK9 said...

man im already paranoid at restaurants. salad bars? never! buffets? never. now i have to look out for pierced waiters too. feel better soon, and some fish are coming up soon in the yard.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

oh no!!!


hope you are ok

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I was wondering what happened to you.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Much mo betta now! First solid food tonight, so wish me luck. Tossing a couple ham steaks on the grill, since I didn't get any ham on Easter.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

good luck Phos!


;)

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger darkfoam said...

ech...!!
i'm glad to hear you are better though..

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger G3T Films said...

This is exactly why I only eat what I kill. I've been eating 'mood' for weeks now.

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger caramaena said...

Oh no! I hope you're all better now.

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Devilish Angel said...

Hey i love popeye...y u put his pic for this article?

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

mythily: I like Popeye too, but his restaurant, Popeye's Chicken isn't so good....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home