Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tough Love: Chasing Skirts

Meat is expensive and becoming more so as the economy seems to be sagging more than a bit - time to shop for “lesser cuts” of meat. This can mean some pretty tough customers, such as skirt steak and chuck roasts.

The skirt steak is a thin tough belt of meat from the ribs, but with a little care it can become a real treat. Mad Coyote Joe, in his book “Authentic Mexican Cooking for Gringos” presents a quick tasty recipe for this particular cut.

Rub the meat with a bit of olive oil and drop it on a hot grill. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the top side. After around two minutes, flip the steak. Sprinkle a little whole Mexican oregano, salt, and pepper on the cooked surface and leave it for another two minutes. Pull it off the grill and allow it to rest for a couple of minutes. When ready to serve cut thin slices across the grain - you can use the slices on top of salad, in a nice roll as a sandwich, or wrapped in a warm tortilla Fajita style.

10 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude,

sounds good

wishing i had me one them right now

/t.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

a skirt-chase ends up being yummy anyways ;-)


I hv a pic for ya in my blog Phoso...


Keshi.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

/t.: Come on over!! Then there's always lamb, the other other white meat...

keshi: Be right over!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Becky said...

If only I weren't lazy enough to never cook. One of these days I'm gonna get a wild hair up my ass and try out one of your recommendations.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Timmy said...

I was in Espana recently, and tried ordering a steak (I say "tried" because I don't speak Spanish and becuase what I was served could only be called a "steak" with quotes on either side), and 1) it was cooked for 30 seconds, tops 2) it looked like it had been cut off the cow with a screwdriver, and 3) it came from a part of the cow that I must be completely unfamiliar with. 13 EUR. I didn't eat a bite of it. I'll take Golden Corral over that crap any day of the week.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

You did save me some, right?

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger none said...

It's a favorite here but you have to remembr to pull off the white connective tissue.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Timmy!! How are you!!!

DU: Come on over!!

hammer: If you get the piece off the ribs there's no tissue, if you get the piece connected to the diaphragm you do. It is good to remove the membrane as you said as it is nature's chewing gum.

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I love skirt steak. Mom always used to make it into pinwheels.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Dino said...

somehow that was not the post I had in mind when I read the title - how's Mrs. Phos??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home