Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Boxing Day

The delivery trucks rumble back to their garages leaving stacks of Christmas packages on the door step. Packages from Uncle Tim, granny, mom and dad, well wishers and even the Jelly of the Month Club offering from my employer. All come well wrapped in various size boxes – many of which have been shipped through a family business, lovingly packed by my brother-in-law, a master in the art of contents protection. Whatever is inside a box he packs isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, making open and disposing of the container quite a challenge.

So begins Boxing Day for me – the day during the Christmas holiday I dread most, even more than wrapping paper day.

With my cold steel “Boarding Pass” (AKA box cutter) in hand I blithely slash through tape developed by NASA for securing payloads in the space shuttle bay, cardboard made from extraordinarily tough tropical hardwoods, and bullet proof shrink wrap developed by the military for gift wrapping armored personnel carriers. The mound of cardboard grows faster than the pool of blood from that last masterful stroke (always cut away from yourself!!).

Several blades and a severed digit later and my roll-roll is now packed to the brim with cardboard sheets. Forget the rest of the garbage it is Boxing Day. I am tempted to recycle some of the cardboard over my neighbor’s wall, but refrain from releasing free range pulp products into the neighbor’s yard in the spirit of the season. Tomorrow is going to be a big day for the garbage guy…

Happy Boxing Day to you all!!

11 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

happy boxing day Phos!

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

boxing day?!?

dude, that was over
like... last december!!!

/t.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

Boxing Day is yet to come...unless ofcourse Im in another planet. LOL!

Keshi.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

This is cardboard Boxing Day...

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Happy boxing day, to you!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Fuff said...

Teehee.
I'm already thinking of how to get the tree out without sprinkling needles from ere to eternity.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ll: Thanks LL!!

fuff: Wrap it in plastic (like a cheap painting drop cloth) then drag it out. Don't forget to toss it into your neighbor's yard - that's kind of a tradition...

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Dino said...

have fun sounds like a ball - Misty and Cleo are good helpers with that

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger TK Kerouac said...

Boxing Day??? Did I miss Xmas?
I take it, you hate your nieghbour.

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok,
i get it

you must have
a bagging day, too

and maybe a wrapping day?

how about a ribbons and bows day...

;)

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Helene said...

Lol... I am having boxing days of my own as I prepare to move! heehehehehehe

Hope you had a great weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home