Monday, August 20, 2007

What,, No Broken Glass??

I opened up a box of lead I bought and found a toy inside. I was pretty upset that my lead had toy contamination. It was almost as disappointing as finding out there were no metal shavings in my Girl Scout cookies and buying a bag of marshmallow circus peanuts that were actually fresh. Comes a time when you expect something to be one way and when it isn’t the experience is really crushing.

I sometimes wonder if we aren’t getting a little carried away. When I was a kid we didn’t have seatbelts, didn’t wear helmets or pads when we rode our bikes, I used mercury to shine pennies (the dentist gave my brother and I some to play with), and I am pretty sure there was plenty of lead in the paint. In fact I had some lead soldiers I played with all the time. Somehow I managed to live without any big side effects. Of course I was a finicky eater as a kid so never tried paint chips – I couldn’t even see the fascination with eating library paste. So I guess I dodged that bullet. I did work with hydrochloric acid in my basement. I also had a chemistry set and most of my experiments were pretty far off script. I still lived to tell the story and developed some stains impervious to the cleaning products of that time.

I guess it was kind of a right of passage. You had to experience things as a kid to move on. For instance, unless you were a total moron, you only shoved a fork into the wall outlet once. That was enough to develop a lasting respect for electricity. You only had to take one trip off the roof to understand manned flight without the proper equipment is impossible.

Now while I think seatbelts, car seats, and other safety gear are important, I always use a seatbelt when in a car, some things should be for the discovering. You have to have the first hand experience of messing with a bee to find out why you really shouldn’t. Having someone tell you isn’t enough, because the child needs to have the “why” question answered. The child needs the pain and swelling as re-enforcement to the lesson.

That probably isn’t the best example because my brother and I kept messing with bees anyway. In fact we had a game called “Clap ‘em” where you had to smack the bee between your hands. Bees are kind of like peppers in that size has no bearing on the power of the sting – the small ones were usually worse than the big ones. We also participated in a game where all the kids formed a circle around a rock. The kid that was “it” took a jar full of hornets and bees captured earlier, shook it a bit then broke it on the rock. Everyone had to run; anyone stung was “out”. Boy those bees were really pissed when they got out of that jar!!

Anyway, I think you need to let kids be kids up to a point. I know I am excited about showing my grandson the fun you can have with an ant colony and a magnifying glass. Boy do those ants get pissed off!!

26 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

People protect their kids from everything.

I wish certain things would never happen, like kids drowning in swimming pools, and getting locked in cars.

I think nowadays we protect our kids from the wrong things.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger none said...

I played with mercury and lead too.

I uhhh...what were we talking about?

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger wallycrawler said...

Lead was a major cause of retardation in the past, noth'n to fuck with. Take it from me Mom ate pencils when she was pregnant with me!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Dan said...

It was almost as disappointing as finding out there were no metal shavings in my Girl Scout cookies

Gosh I hate when that happens! :)

And keep away from that damned ant colony with that magnifying glass!! Yeah, I know ... I used to do it too.

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so,
what
kind of toy
did you get???

/t.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger leelee said...

Yes, played with mercury too. Remember "Mexican Jumping Beans"? we would pull apart the capsules and play with the mercury..hmmm we also used to drink water out of the garden hose. It's a wonder I don't have a 3rd eye.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ll: They got to learn sooner or later. A pool fence is a great idea however. We have a lot of drownings out here. Beyond the fence parents actually paying attention to their small children would be a great idea as well - people let them run wild in our neighborhood.

hammer: The mercury is probably still int he cracks int he floorboards in our old house.

WC: Actually it was common for women to smoke and drink while pregnant as I was growing up. OF course you couldn't say the word pregnant!!

dan: Even better - watching ants crawling on to the lit fuse of a flash cracker trying to put it out - all for not.

/t.:a plastic whistle

leelee: You could even buy a plastic maze in the toy aisle that had a glob of mercury. You had to get the whole glob through the maze. Or break it open and shine pennies with it.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I had a chemistry set too and Is tole stuff from the school lab to go home and do my own experiments.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

:) good ol school days!

Keshi.

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Pat said...

I agree with little lamb: these days parents seem obsessed with protecting their kids from all the wrong things! As already mentioned - they'll cry and moan (and bring lawsuit) because their precious got hit by a car (only because they never taught them how to cross the street properly and responsibly!!), but it never crosses their mind to put up pool fences - or teach them how to swim, even!!

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Dino said...

yeah there is definitely a lot of parents that want to protect their kids from everything. The thing that gets me is when they "safe keeping" doesn't allow the kids to build a strong immune system. You know those parents that use Lysol every 3 seconds and wont let their kids eat worms and dirt? And then they are upset that their kid gets sick in school/daycare

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger leelee said...

Good stuff over at MOPP4...wow

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

getting so
you can't trust
anything from china

today i found bits of apple in a new package of razor blades...

/t.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger leelee said...

lol /t

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

/t. is a character.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

sj: Nothing in the instructions ever said you couldn't add stuff form outside!! That's thinking outside the box!

keshi: Ya, old school!!

ec: My wife is a teacher and there are some parents that expect her to raise their kids for them. I even think some of her parents aren't sure where the kids keep coming from...

dak: I remember digging holes down to worm town. That's back when we thought digging was fun...

leelee: Thanks!!

/t.: Look at the bright side, now you are all ready for Trick-or-Treat!!

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger leelee said...

Phos...I put Tupelo Honey up for you at Kitchen Concerts..I love requests..

:-)

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

leelee: Thanks!!

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Lexcen said...

Did anyone notice the asbestos (used as insulation in buildings)? Now that is something to worry about.

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

lexcen: When I was in High school we used asbestos pads and wore asbestos gloves in chemistry class. Great for fireproofing, not so great for the lungs. I sometimes wonder if all that stuff will catch up with me eventually.

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Fuff said...

The nanny state has lost its marbles. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a revolution.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

fuff: There's a show called Nanny 911 where some large scary looking British nannies come into American households and try to tame the animals they are raising.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

I remember busting thermometers open to play with the mercury. Good times.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger KB said...

Yeah, I agree we've grown MUCH too cautious these days. Our kids grow up WAY too 'soft' I reckon.

If we keep protecting them from everything, they won't know what the heck to do when they are 'out there' on their own in the real world.

Hahahaha, to the "bee" story, although I like bees, they're good and useful insects - wasps on the other hand I don't like and will happily kill them! (but not by clapping!!)

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Fuff said...

Ah, Supernanny as it's known here. Usually quite effective at sorting out posessed infants/thick parents.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

A 6th grade teacher gave some of us access to mercury and we coated quarters, etc. The access went away when she found out I wanted to make mercury fulminate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home