Sunday, May 07, 2006

Souvlaki


The Souvlaki was a success. I grilled the vegetables (onion, green pepper, and Portobello caps) on a separate skewer from the meat because I hate when the mushrooms mush. I oiled a baking tray with a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper, rubbed the potato wedges in the herbed oil and baked at 350. I flipped them once to make sure both sides of the wedge were browned. The meat for the Souvlaki was marinated in the same mixture that I used on the potatoes, the only difference being I used fresh oregano and a crumbled bay leaf. I let the cubed sirloin marinate overnight. I cheated and bought whole wheat pitas, hit them with some spray olive oil and tossed them on the grill at the last minute, flipping once.

Huskies gave it rave reviews - Yukon set an all time record for dangling drool, my wife liked the dinner, and I didn’t feel nauseous as I did at Mike’s. I stole the recipe from Adventures in Greek Cooking: The Olive and the Caper by Susanna Hoffman. I found the book on Bobo’s table at a local market. I think I may send Mike a copy.

8 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Blogger jin said...

MMmmmm...you know I'd make a meal on just a huge plate of those potatoes!!!

???Aren't you missing something???

Where's the cheese?
Heeheehee!!!

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

goshhh Im droooling!

Keshi.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Holy shit, that looks soooooo goooood! Am envious of your wife, as my husband can't cook anything besides a steak.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Jin: Feta on the salad. A day witout cheese is like a day without sunshine!

Keshi: I drool all the time - that's 11 weird things

Becky: I do laundry and vacum too and am available for weekends, don't do windows though.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

Let's try this again:

:-D

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Thanks T&B

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

haha!

Keshi.

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger Pat said...

Dammit! I'm gonna have to stop reading your blog right before mealtimes!...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home