Monday, May 29, 2006

Home Again

There are as many definitions as to what a friend is as there are people who believe they know.  For me, that state of being called friendship was defined while at the Teacher’s picnic yesterday (a quick note:  I am not a teacher.  I am sure many of you will be relieved to know that the children are safe – well at least from me).  

My wife and I showed up to the host’s house and wandered into he back where the principal’s husband looked, smiled, and then handed me a pair of grill tongs – we were picking up right where we left off from the last time standing in front of a couple grills while we jawed about nothing in particular.  

The small gesture of extending me those tongs and the trust and confidence that went with them was one of the singular most heart warming things I have had happen to me in a good long time.    Maybe much ado about nothing to most, but it felt like being welcomed home and can’t beat that…  

9 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger jin said...

That was a very COOL gesture phos. I know exactly what you're saying!

(I also hope you didn't burn anything! ;-)
heehee!

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Cherry! said...

Shit! Does he know about the potatoes???? hahahaha!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

Very nice, PK; just imagine what it might mean if someone hand me the tongs. Ha! ;-)

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Pat said...

I know exactly what you mean! My neighbor is a dear friend who feels perfectly at ease coming into my home, helping herself to whatever happens to be laying about, correcting my son (just as I correct her children), and immediately jumping in to help me with any project I just happen to be in the middle of. And vice versa! The feeling of peace and ease and kinship that her actions bring to me are, I am certain, the same feelings you felt when you were handed those tongs! Friends like those are priceless!

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

No worries, potato pictures coming soon, sorry Cherry, they weren't burned!!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger SC said...

Beautiful.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Thanks SC!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Aw! Ya old softy.

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home