Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Because I Can

I’ve been through a lot of things, things I want to remember so I have been just jotting down the thoughts in three line poems. This is an attempt to synthesize the thoughts down to the smallest level that will still allow me to smell the woods, hear the birds, and feel the nip in the air. They aren’t Haiku because I don’t do the syllable count. There are several reasons for this, including the fact I am too lazy to count syllables every time I want to get a thought down. Because I just jot them down without any editing they tend to be a bit rough at times. The only rule is they have to bring the experience back to me in total.

I like sharing these –they are actually pieces of my life and since Blogs are supposed to be biographical in nature I suspect my memories qualify.


Old men sitting spitting
Quiet June morning
Talking price of wheat

Cactus Wren hopping through June litter
Unhappy I am there
Focused on food

Metal prong
Play tune on tender teeth
No cavities today

Sun is 110
Shade 111
Nowhere to hide


Three lines
Not haiku
Random sparks

Coals glow
Smell of spice
Ribs sizzle

Snow on outstretched fingers
Creaking in the wind
Sitting on a snag

Deer at gunpoint
Eating greens
Let the doe pass


Dakota winter
Waiting for turkeys
Chickadees play on my hat

Upside down Nuthatch
on winter wood
Looking for his dinner

Haunting howl
Beagle tracking
Far down the trail

Breeze stirs
Winter woods
My moustache is frozen

14 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

Random musings written so well..

Keshi.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Keshi: Thanks

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger jin said...

phos, those are excellent!
especially liked the frozen moustache! LOL

Hey, when's your birthday?! I want a picture of that cake you keep raving about!!!

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

lol Jin, the line with the moustache also catched my eye!! Didn't thought you have a moustache, phosgene kid... thought you're wearing this mask on the picture all the time (how silly from me...) ;-D

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Jin: The frozen moustache incident happened just before Thanksgiving during Deer season. It was so cold my breath iced over my moustache - even the deer weren't stuid enough to be out on that day.

As far as the cake, it won't be much to look at - your cakes are works of art - the spice cake is just for eatin'. I like caramel frosting, so their isn't much to look at. I will take a picture though.

DM: Never thought about it - you are right, it is tough to tell what I actually look like without the mask - believe me we are all better off if I just leave it on.

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Mummified said...

Simple things, closely observed, illuminate our lives. :-)

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

PK

Screw the effing sy-
lable count. You're finding your
own voice. Keep at it.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Thanks all. Sorry Dirk, I own nothing anyone wants to see without clothes - I just posted some nice soothing pictures for you...

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

Lovely thoughts
In elegant form
Always delight

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Thanks T&B, nice verse...

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

I take that as high compliment coming from a fine verse writer as yourself. :-D

*curtsey*

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger SC said...

Lovely stuff PK. Yours is the kind of poetry that sounds even better when it is read out loud, slowly.

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a virginia dog breeders site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home