Saturday, May 02, 2009

Courthouse Girls of Farmland: A Short Film

Whilst in the wilds of Utah I was privileged to meet an incredible film maker. This charming, outspoken lady made a short film entitled "Courthouse Girls of Farmland." I was lucky enough to receive a copy of her most excellent film, based on some older matrons of a small town who adopt the idea put forward in "Calendar Girls" and pose for a revealing calendar to bring attention to the fate of the Winchester County Courthouse. Their efforts result in saving the historic building, a monument to the past of a typical Midwestern town.

I watched the documentary and was impressed by the skill and care that went into one of the most interesting and entertaining films I have seen in a long time. I found myself transported to Farmland,the anytown of small farming communities found all through the center of the country, met some of the most interesting, down to earth, and unforgettable characters through the interviews of the "girls," their families, and the people of Winchester County as they took sides in the battle over the courthouse.

I encourage you to check out the Courthouse Girls site above and if you collect short films this one would be a must for your collection.

I loved it so much I had to have the T-shirt!

8 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm waiting
for the book version

...ok, will check out the film
when i find some time -- it does sound kind of interesting, phos

/t.

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

It does sound interesting.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger none said...

Welcome back!

I'll have to check that out. I saw a preview on the independent film channel and it looks interesting.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

ok then...let me check it out :)

Keshi.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger dianne said...

Welcome back Phossy dear. ♡

The Brits 2003 'Calendar Girls' movie was good as well, its nice to see people working together for a good cause.
Sounds like you had fun, you will have to post a photo of yourself in the T-shirt. :) ♡

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Lily said...

Thanks for your comments. things have been a bit crazy here, am trying to go to cdourt against some one and this is getting to me, to be honest. but then again, one can't let everybody get away with any and all crimes, can one?!

Anyway, it sounds like a nice trip that you are on, we still have to wait a few days for our departure...
How is the course? What did you sign up for?
Some IT-stuff?

To be honest, I was quite surprised that you would be interested in the kind of movie, you mention above. I checked it out; the music was nice and the whole thing somehow sweet... I would just would never have thought it was your cup of tea...

well surprises do still happen...!
I guess then, i'd better not tell you what i watched the other night, otherwise you'll just think, I'm a pig...

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Wow! Thanks, Bob for the nice comments about our documentary, Courthouse Girls of Farmland. May we use your "review" in our publicity? Question for Hammer--are you sure it was our film you saw on the Independent Channel? If so, I'd love to know when, etc.

It was great meeting you, Bob. Jim and I will plan a trip to Arizona for sure to sample your bar-b-que expertise! AES

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

You are more than welcome to use the review. Looking forward to seeing more from you in the future!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home