Friday, August 29, 2008

The Slightly Imperfect Storm

We really got schwacked last night - the lightning strikes were so frequent and intense I felt it imprudent to go out and film them. Despite the light show and the ferocious winds we received little or no rain, hence the imperfect storm. I should be happy the winds didn’t rip off our back porch roof but it would have been nice to get a good soaking out of all the fury. My weather alert radio was going off every few minutes with warnings about storms all over the valley, most as fierce or worse than the one that hit El Mirage.

I did enjoy watching through the window, I have always loved storms, always admired the raw power and sinister beauty of the spectacle.

I hope Gustav gives Little Lamb a pass, though I suspect the people of New Orleans may not be so lucky. While I understand the historical significance and the attachment the people have to the place I believe they need to find another place to live – there are plenty of other places girls can lift their tops for colored beads. Or we can keep losing lives and sinking money into one of the worst locations for a city on the Southern coast. I suspect it will be the latter.

Keep your powder dry!!

8 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Jack K. said...

Sorry you didn't get any rain.

Sorry you got so much wind.

Glad to learn that the roof survived.

Glad to learn that your powder is dry.

Agree with your thoughts about New Orleans.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger darkfoam said...

maybe they can come to your little house and lift their tops for beads?

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they
do that
in the big sleazy?

dang!

:)

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Gustav is headed right towards New Orleans as a cat 3 hurricane. We may not get that one, but Hannah is on its way. That one may or may not get us.

Life in the tropics.

Fay could have been just a warning storm.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Jack: That's life in the desert. Phoenix is another crazy place to have a huge city. On the bright side I don't own a snow shovel.

Foam: Seen one set, seen 'em all...

/t.: Long way to drive to see titties

LL: I've been to the Destin area and loved it. The fishing was great, but FL is too humid and at times too windy for my tastes. Please keep safe.

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

good luck with the new storms over there.
I think it's hard to leave a place where you felt at home. Sure, everyone can live everywhere. But it's something different if you leave in your own mind then if you got 'blown' away...

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I too like to watch storms. Not been in one for a while.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Had another storm come through last night. This one was courteous enough to provide some rain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home