Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Easter weekend

Easter weekend is past but not forgotten – the leftovers are still in the fridge. We pretty much ate our way through Easter. Some friends from back East came out to visit on Saturday and we wound up at the Rio, a local Mexican restaurant. When anyone comes to visit we invariably wind up there because the restaurant serves some of the best Mexican food I have ever had.




My daughter and son-in-law were over for the whole weekend. As usual it was so nice having them visit. You spend most of your adult life praying that the kids leave home and then when they are finally gone you really miss them. I am not sure why that is, but fortunately looking after huskies fills the void.



We basically ate out way through Easter, starting with the traditional chocolate malted milk ball breakfast…


Followed by the Italian Easter cookies…



I had a request for Easter dinner, so I complied and went Chinese. I grilled up honey-hoisin glazed chicken with fried rice and fried wontons for sides. Everyone seemed pleased and I certainly enjoyed making the food.




It was a great weekend just having folks around. We had beautiful weather – a bit windy at first, but mellowing out through the weekend, temps in the 80s and a very nice visit. As Kurt Vonnegut’s uncle always used to say, “If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is”.

13 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger Becky said...

I cooked my first ham this Easter, along with some damn good red eye gravy! MMMMMMMMMMMMMM! I got the good cooking gene from my mama!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

becky:

Sounds great! I would have liked to do ham, but we have someone in the crowd that doesn't like ham, if you can imagine that!

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger nanuk said...

Up here number one son returned from school for Easter week. We ran out of seal meat for Easter dinner, so we had to settle for prime rib of beef with Yorkshire pudding. Quite the hardship I can assure you.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Prime rib, seal, they're all in the meat group. I htink I woudl prefer the prime rib, but then I never have tried seal so I guess I can't say much about that. Maybe you could send me some seal jerky...

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger crallspace said...

It all looks great to me! I couldn;t comment on your monkey POST. Kept showing an error.


What is CRUNK music?

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger Mummified said...

They look like very fine easter cookies PK. And the duck wasn't bad either. :-)

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Fuckkit said...

Judging by how busy the bloody gym is at the moment I think the whole of Oxfordshire ate its way through Easter.

I know I did ;)

 
At 3:53 AM, Blogger Keshi said...

came thru Murane's bloggy :)

Seems like u've had a cool Easter weekend...awesome pics and some very yummy ones too!

Keshi.

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

just wanna drop by.....

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Crall: Crunk is a Southern Version of Rap. Don't wince, I woudl have sworn I woudl neevr listen to rap, but most of it is pretty good. Try somethign by Li'l John and the East Side Boys" or songs like "I like that"

All:

Nice to see you! Come on over and I will toss something on the grill...

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Oooh...are you going to grill shish kabobs?

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Fashionasia said...

the hoisin chicken looks sooooo yummilicious!!!!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

I'm ashamed to say I was salivating at all those delish food photos. Please send some through the screen...ASAP. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home