Friday, May 12, 2006

“That’s not a beer, now this, this is a beer…”




"Life’s to Short to Drink Shitty Beer…"
Ben Franklin , 1776

There are beers and then there are stuff large corporations call beer and foist on the American public. The Mega-brewery dominates the scene, and there are NASCAR watching, livestock fornicating hill folk that are perfectly content with that. Hell, six dollars for a whole case, it has to be good. Fortunately, beer production has come full circle. Originally, many towns had their own breweries, this was necessary because there weren’t long haul refrigerated trucks clogging our highways, driven by large Budwieser swilling livestock fornicators. Beer spoiled easily (well it used to before big business started adding crap) so if you wanted beer you either bought it locally or made it. Even my German Uncle had a hygrometer in the basement – ain’t no German going to do without his beer. Leinenkugle’s in Chippewa Falls was one such brewery and they are still in operation albeit under the auspices of the Miller Brewing Company. The past ten years or so have seen a resurgence of small local custom breweries and Brew Pubs, like Four Peaks here in Arizona. They actually care about how their product tastes and aren’t worried about putting out something that will help Bubba get smashed for under $3.00. Not all the beer coming out of these small breweries is great; to be sure some of the beer coming out of these tastes like crap, but it is the experimentation that leads to better beer.

Next time you are in a market give the big brewery shelves a pass and check out some of the lesser-known offerings. When in a bar forego the Budwiser tapper and ask the bartender what kind of local stuff he has to offer or you can guzzle your pitcher of mega-company beer and turn back to the stockcar race on the TV behind the bar while you pine for your daddy’s sheep. Your choice.

Next Time: I catch you drinking Budwiser while you are visiting Germany and I’ll personally kick your ass, hillbilly.

10 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger nanuk said...

If you ever find it, try "Delerium Tremens". It is a brown Belgian ale and despite the fact it is a whopping 12% alcohol by volume, it tastes truly great.

I have basically stopped drinking beer because I find it tasteless, bland and those CO2 bubbles they add in irritate my throat.

I'm all for beer brewed by people who love it rather than money.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Pat said...

Never been much of a beer drinker 'cept in high school (but who has any sense, or taste, then eh?) Have to admit that every once in a great while, on a really hot day, there's nothing better - but you're right, it has to taste good (not just be cold). Never could stand Budweiser - always gave me a headache.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Nanuk: I don't drink much at all, a little Kangaroo Juice from time to time (Yellow Tail Shiraz) and beer.

EC: I like a nice Red - Fat Tire or Linie's Red is great on a hot day.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

I don't drink any alcohol, not because I'm some goody goody, but because I don't like the taste of it.

However... one of my coworkers has left and I did drink a toast to her (whatever it was, everyone praised it, but it just tasted like some dry stuff and rubbing alcohol to me), but that was my first sip in over 15 years, and before that it was an occasional sip from someone ordering a tropical drink to see if I'd changed my mind (no).

A restaurant chain in town, Heartland Brewery, however, has come up with a new beer concoction, which they think will appeal to women who don't normally like the taste of beer. Although I also dislike pink, I might go and try it out, despite the steep $6 price. Maybe I'll just have a basket of onion rings to go with it to balance out the cost. :-)

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Oh boy, girlie beer. A girlfrend of one of my buddies broguht over sme "Rhino Beer fruit flavored crap. One sip and a spit-take later and I told her never to bring that shite into my house again, I'll make her some Koolaid and be done with it.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

ROTFLMAO!

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home