Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day weekend pt1

Ah, Mother’s Day weekend and the grill is getting a real work out. It is hot outside so I get a break on the charcoal, even a small handful of lump charcoal produces some intense heat. I grilled some Kielbasa the other day and I believe I could have dispensed with the charcoal all together and just closed the lid on the grill. It was up to 101 in the back yard.

My daughter and her husband came to visit – I wasn’t sure when they’d get here so I didn’t pull the ribs out of the fridge until I saw the whites of their eyes. This precluded doing the usual mustard and dry rub for seasoning as the ribs would have to go overnight, so I made a sauce. I generally don’t care for using BBQ sauce, preferring to go with the rub method but BBQ sauce is easy to put together in a hurry.

Be aware I really like to bring the heat, so feel free to adjust the amount of hot pepper. In fact this recipe is pretty basic, so feel to play around with it ‘til it suits your taste. I used about 2 cups of Ketchup, 2 Tbs Whiskey, 1/8 Tsp Liquid Smoke (this stuff has a really strong flavor so a little goes a long way), and about 2 Tbs of Molasses. I like the Oriental concept of contrasts with in a sauce, so I try to balance things out a bit. Besides I like the look on folk’s faces as they are enjoying the sweet taste of the sauce and suddenly the heat kicks in – now that’s funny.



I chose St Louis Style ribs because they tend to be a bit meatier and that’s what the store had, though baby-backs are great too. I remove the layer of skin-like silvery tissue from the backs of the ribsones. It can be the devil’s own to remove, but it pays off in two ways; the rib meat can soak up seasoning from the back of the rack of ribs, and your guests don’t put their jaw muscles through a Pilates workout trying to eat the ribs. I applied some salt and pepper then tossed them on the grill.

I had problems with the charcoal, some stores let the stuff get wet and then charcoal is tough to start and never seems to come up to its full potential. I use lump charcoal because I don’t fancy cooking over petroleum byproducts found in most briquettes.



As the ribs cook I slather them with a mop sauce, in this case 2 Tbs of dried red pepper flakes and a ¼ cup of brown sugar dissolved in quart of apple cider vinegar. I just baste the top of the ribs with this from time to time to add some flavor and keep them moist. I use indirect heat (coals on either side of the ribs) and will sometimes place a tinfoil pan of beer directly under the ribs to help with moisture and catch and drippings.

Can’t say as I make the best ribs in the world, but I don’t get any complaints…

14 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

Yummers!!! Gimmee gimmee!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger nanuk said...

Two TABLESPOONS of cayenne? I think I can feel the burn all the way up here. And until I saw the Jim Beam you had me worried that you were using real whiskey. Looks great!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Nanuk: Not a big whiskey drinker, but it adds a nice note to the flavor of the sauce - oddly enough a shot in mashed potatoes, along with roasted garlic comes out pretty good too.

T&B: Come on out, I'd never pass up a chance to cook!!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

Oh, PK, if ever I head back out to Arizona (visited Scottsdale for 3 days once), I am definitely looking you up! You'll regret ever having issued the invite, lol!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger SC said...

Jeez. Those are the biggest steaks I've ever seen in my life. You actually have to use a mop to baste them? Incredible. I knew our American friends like to do things big, but this is something else. My hat is off to you, sir.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger jin said...

What!??! You buy liquid smoke from Manitowoc & not my bakery!!! *GASP*

Heehee...made a few blocks from my shoppe. I shouldn't say this, cuz the owner of the company is a pretty nice guy, & his wife has spent thousands of $ in my shoppe, but that place pollutes the air more than any other industry in this county! They are always dodging the the emmissions dept.

That said, if I were not vegetarian I'd eat your ribs (canniballistic pun intended! LOL) because it looks like you've done a good job preparing them.

Happy Sunday...sloppy kisses to your pups!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

I made a nice salad too, you can have that with the sauce over it. Personally I could eat a cheeseburger while I pet a cow.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

YUMMMAYYYYYYY!

Ur daughter? wow I didnt know u were a dad already :)

Keshi.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Keshi, I am probably old enough to be your dad.

My wife and I have a son and a daughter - I always like to say our kids are soomeone else's problem now because they are both married. It is nice that our daughter and her husband live across town, but my son is up in Northern California.

It is odd how you can't wait for the kids to leave home, but then when they do you spend most of the time missing 'em. Have yet to figure that one out...

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

SC: I've seen competions where they are cooking bunches of ribs at a time and use an actual mop and bucket to "mop" the ribs. I just use Barbie's Mop...

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger SC said...

It's called 'love' PK. Missing the kids, that is. Not the ribs. You serious about that competition? Got any pics of it?

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

I don't have any pics of the competiton, I saw it on the food network. These dudes travel all over the US entering their BBQ to see who's is best. I have been thinking about becoming a judge -then I will need one fo those scooters!!

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home